This past couple of weeks has been BUSY for me. To give you a general idea of what I’ve been up to, I’ve been canning, and freezing produce here. Lots of produce to be exact. In between canning and freezing is housework, going out and buying the produce I’ve been canning and freezing, summer vacation planning, weekend get-a-ways and more to be honest. During breaks from school, and on the weekends, I like to cram as many things into the time as I can. Sometimes this goes well and other times I feel like we rushed things so much, we weren’t able to fully enjoy ourselves. Luckily even though things seem busy, they do not seem rushed.
- 24 of each -32 oz jars of tomatoes, peaches and tomato sauce
- 6- pint jars of pickles, pickle relish, and salsa
- 6- pint jars of peach and blueberry preserves
- 6- 32 oz jars of peach pie filling
- 8 gallons of green beans
- 4 gallons of shredded zucchini
- 4 gallons of cut up zucchini
- 4 gallons of sliced beets
- 8-1/2 gallon bags of multi- colored peppers-green, red, orange
- 5 gallons sliced strawberries
I still have creamed corn to make and also corn on the cob to freeze, and when fall arrives apple pie filling and applesauce and squash. Our freezer that we bought just for just such an endeavor is half full at this time and our shelves are starting to fill up. Feels good. After preserving the peaches a couple of weeks ago, I made my husband and I breakfast for supper.
Organic egg, spinach and kale omelet with organic white cheddar cheese served with my own grown organic tomatoes, organic grapes, and organic red potatoes. The total cost of meal per person-$3.25, the total time to make- 15 minutes.